Google icon
e-mail icon
Del.icio.us icon
StumbleUpon icon
Reddit icon
11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mercury Verado 250 pro vs Mercury 250 pro xs

I am looking at buying a 2011 ranger 620vs and was set on a 250 pro xs until talking to a some reps and they said I should consider the Verado 250 pro. Not much out there for info on this. The Verado seems to look like a large box but I have not seen it on a 620 yet. Not very familiar with the Verado motor. I know it is new for this year. Bass boaters think it is too big and heavy. Is this the next go to Mercury motor for the 620vs or multi species boats? I the two stroke has been a great motor but the quietness of the verado is appealing.

J.R.'s picture

Havent herd much yet on the new Verodo pro. It may come down to personal choice I would take the 2 stroke for these reasons- Better power band

- likley more top speed

- less weight

- No oil changes

- Proven technology (first year for verodo pro)

- Price

Either way that is going to be a real nice boat although a E-tec would be nice on there to.

Jered Reiss

dkuhlmann's picture

The new 2011 Ranger 620vs is a nice redesign and it is designed for the weight of a 4 stroke. That said I'll give you my input on the outboards you have listed.

Opti 250 ProXS is a fantastic OB and there is a new redesign for the fuel compressor pump which should eleminate some of the past issues there. Also it is less weight than a 4 stroke Verado.

The "new" Verado 250 Pro really isn't "new" at all. Only now it accepts lower octane fuel and reaches full power at lower rpms from what I have read on it. Seems it might have the newer upgraded lower units also but not sure on that but that is a possitive thing.

If you prefer the quietness of the 4 stroke then you have your answer. The argument for the changing of oil or adding oil to the fuel system is a wash both cost about the same in the long run. I love my Verado and wouldn't change it or exchange it for anything else out there!

Good luck in your decission and most of all Enjoy your new boat!!!

Keith Kavajecz's picture
The Next Bite AdminWalleye Guy

I also have not run the new Verado Pro - probably will have more input after this summer.

As far as Pro XS Optimax vs Verado - there are positives to both

Pro XS - less weight, no oil changes, less money, slightly better fuel economy

Verado - super quiet, no mixing oil, great power assist steering system, no smoke

Note that I did not see that much difference in top end or hole shot between the two engines on my Tracker Tundra's.

For me, I had the choice this year for my tournament boat and went with a Verado. I just really like that I can search for fish, not make as much noise and often fish back over them and catch them.

Bite On!

KK

NPAA #81

Chase Parsons's picture

I'll second Keith on the Verado choice vs the Pro XS, however you will be very pleased with either decision.  As far as the new Pro Verado goes, I had the opportunity to be down with Jeff O'Brien from Mercury at the Milwaukee Boat Show, who is a brand manager for both XS and Verado lines of engines.  The Pro Verado is one I am especially excited about getting a chance to run sometime as it is basically what an XS is to an Opti.  The Verados as most know are SuperCharged Fourstrokes, unlike any other outboard out there.  They are unbelievably quiet and the digital controls (throttle, gauges) truly make running this engine as simple as playing a video game.  In the ProFour they opened up the SuperCharger even further so you will see increased true HP, top speed, holeshot...all the same characteristics you see in an XS over the regular Opti.  Good Luck with your choice! 

Keith this is just my observation .. But i think the verado is just as loud below the water as any other outboard. At least mine seems pretty loud when started out of water. Don't get me wrong though I love the quietness above water. My next boat will have one on it . The Pro xs I road in seemed to be alot quieter than older ones. Good luck  A. Humbert

My 175 pro xs doesnt seem that loud when running down the lake, but is noisy at startup and idle. I will spend the money for a big 4 stroke next time. I like th pro xs but just like the quiet preformance of the 4 stroke.

Chase Parsons's picture

Aaron,

I know exactly what you mean on the loudness of the engines when they are started out of the water.  With that being said, the only thing I can attest to is that I ran Verados 4 out of the last 5 seasons.  We ran Optis on our Tundras throughout the season last year.  Between the two engines, obviously there are a ton of differences, (2 stroke vs 4 stroke, digital, etc.) BUT the one thing I did notice is that I could graph fish with a Verado, turn around, fish them and many times they would still be there.  With the Opti, I noticed many times where it seemed to spook them and they would not be where I just saw them.  Because of this, I am a full believer that Verados have to be somewhat quieter under water, however both engines are pretty tough to beat!! 

CP

Very Interesting!

From the Australian Mercury site

http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/home/outboards/verado/6-cyl/300-hp-pro.aspx

Propshaft rated HP at 350?  Still badged at 300?  One would think that might cause some rating issues for boats.

Boomer

dkuhlmann's picture

Phil it is a typo and not correct information.

350hp (186kw) This is not correct.

350hp (261kw) This is Correct!

300hp (186kw) is what it should read

Go to the page for the 350 HP and you will see. Also on the 300 hp page you can see the mistake at the bottom where it should read Warranty but was typo'ed as well.

Thanks for clearing that up David.  Certainly makes more sense.

-A +A
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
YouTube icon

(c) 2014 All Rights Reserved - thenextbite.tv